Venice

Last Friday I think I finally discovered heaven, it's Venice, being the most phenomenally beautiful and idyllic place it really does belongs in the clouds.

Catching a train from Milan for the day it was an incredible opportunity to see the city I only wish I could have stayed longer and explored the other islands especially Burano with it's vast array of different coloured houses and the glass blowing factory where they frequently give demonstrations.

I realise as I'm typing this I'm going to sound incredible silly but I didn't expect as much water. I know, it is a ridiculous thing to say the city is in the sea but still it's staggering to actually look at. Water, everywhere. So much water.

We purchased our train tickets from Centrale FS in Milan to Venezia Mestre for 75 Euros return each then getting off at Mestre purchased tickets again to go across the bridge to Venezia St. Lucia which is the station ideally you want to have a through train too. Tickets from Mestre to St. Lucia we're only a mere 2,50 euros and the trains are very regular running just about every ten minutes so it's a very easy transfer.

Once in Venice with the smell of salt water pouring over us we at first went into fits of happiness for five minutes before actually starting to look around. The entire city is a marvel and you don't have to visit the tourist attractions to experience it's beauty you are engulfed in it. Through the day we did visit the Rialto bridge and St. Marcos square (ascending up the bell tower) but generally pondering through the streets and looking in the shops is more than enough to keep you busy.

I've always wanted to visit Venice and now I've done it, problem is I just want to go all over again.













No comments:

Post a Comment