DIY Mannequin heads..

Naturally as a student everybody knows funds are always tight and there are only so many packets of 11p basic noodles one individual can eat so for my mannequin styling I've tried to be as budget savvy as possible. Alongside my studies I also work as a seamstress and print designer at Obsession Dance Design which are a company that create bespoke freestyle dance costumes and head pieces, they're work is AMAZING by the way, will have to create a post soon enough that shows what they do! Luckily for me though they use polystyrene heads to work on whilst they create their head bands and because of the nature of the work the bases often snap or crumble which is where I've swooped in and asked to have the broken heads..

Unfortunately I've been a dimwit and failed to take any before pictures so I can only share with you the final product but all I've done is give each head a single layer of paper mache to prevent the spray paint dissolving the polystyrene and develop a smoother texture and then put enough layers of white spray on till the heads have even coverage before adding random burst of colour with other spray paint. In order to solve the base issue I've gone for beyond simple and used thin rods of wire bent into shape and pushed into the head then fixed with glue to keep them steady. Easy as that, have a crack at it!










No comments:

Post a Comment